Burgas is the second largest city and seaside resort on the Bulgarian Black sea coast.It is situated by the Burgas bay, on a flat plate and lies at an avarage elevation of 17 m above the sea level. The favourable living conditions on this fertile plain, close to the sea, have brought people to this region from early antiquity.The earliest signs of life date back to the Bronze Age and the early Iron Age. The region of Burgas is rich in archaeological finds, relating to the thracian period (4th c B.C.)The name of Burgas derives from the latin word "burgos", meaning a tower . local legends speak of a roman travel post which used to lie in the area of today's Burgas Port. 15 centuries later, then under the name of Pirgos, the settlement was mentioned in the works of the Byzantine poet, Manuel Phil. In 18th c. burgas was the largest port, south of the Balkan range.
Municipality of Burgas is bounded by the Black Sea surrounding the large Burgas Bay. Close to the seaside are located the Atanasovsko lake, Pomoriisko lake, Mandrensko and Burgas (Vaia) lake which form the biggest complex of maritime lakes in Bulgaria - unique itself with its extremely rich biodiversity. From here passes "Via Pontica" - one of the main fly ways of the European migratory birds.
One of the biggest airports and the biggest cargo harbor in the country are located in Burgas. Our town is an important centre for the sea tourism with plenty of facilities and transport connections to the resorts on the South Black Sea coast. The resort complex is enriched by the presence of the Burgas Mineral water baths /around 15 km from the town/ which is one of the most ancient Bulgarian balneology centers.
The climate is moderately continental with a clearly expessed sea influence. Summer is ussualy pleasant and fresh due to the permanent breezes. During the summer air temperatures in the daytime average 26,40C, and that of the seawater is 24,70C. The number of sunny days in summer varies between 24 and 27 per month, with an average of the 10-11 hours of sunshine per day. Winter is mild, mostly without any snow. During the winter season the average air temperatures is 4,60C. Due to the sea influence, autumns here are long and significantly warmer than in inland regions, while springs tend to be cold and arriving a month later.
At the turn of 21st c. Burgas is a regional and municipal center, as well as the fourth largest town in Bulgaria, with a population of 229 740 inhabitants. Burgas is rated second among Bulgarian administrative districts in its industrial potential. Over 20,000 companies have been registered here, while unemployment is the lowest in the country - 4,3%.
Burgas is in important industrial, commercial, transport and tourist center . The largest oil refinery on the Balkans - Lukoil Neftochim EAD - operates from here. The Burgas production palette is richly diverse in colour - fuels and synthetic fibres, ships cables and conductors, railway carriages, fans, construction materials, fish tins, vegetable oils, confectionary, biscuits, knitwear and clothing.
Burgas has the largest port in the country with the only oil terminal south of the Balkan range, with a well-developed railway and road network. The airport boasts the best atmospheric conditions on the Balkan Peninsula and is the only one adapted for receiving supersonic planes. Since 1989 the Duty Free Zone of Burgas has been in operation.
Burgas in itself is a tourist center, but also a starting point for visiting the Black Sea resort of Sunny Beach, the holiday villages of Elenite and Duni, the museum-towns of Nesebar and Sozopol, the Ropotamo Reserve and the Strandja Nature Park.
Factors and predictors for economic development
The Areas' strong aspects in relations with the economic development are defined by the following factors and predictors; good transport connections , geographical situation ,sea route, well developed transportation system, availability of harbor complex with the biggest freight turnover in the country and airport complex with the best technical opportunities in the country.The Mediterranean climate, supporting the development of vineyard industry, fruit industry, vegetable industry and tourism is a potential for the development of food and tobacco industries, including fishing industry and also for the development of balneotherapy and tourism.Investment attractions for the development of projects in the area are of harbor activities, air transport, industry, trade, tourism and property sales and investment.
Nessebar-founded by the Thracians some 3000 years B.C., the town is today part of the World Cultural Patrimony and many of its monuments are subject to the protection of UNESCO .Its beauty remains untouched by sea and time. Encircled by the sea from all sides, it's only trough a very narrow strip of land that Nessebar is connected to the mainland. Before diving into the depth of History to explore antiquity ,it is highly advisable to get at least a few of the keys to its enigmas by paying a visit to the Archaeological Museum.
The scent of Sozopol is a blend of sea-waves and oil paints .This is the town of artists-painters , musicians and actors .The best beach in the area is ,undoubtedly south of Sozopol-holiday village DYUNI . Situated in a bay , the shape of semi-circle, amidst the Ropotamo Natural Reserve ,the resort is offering the best possible conditions for rest and relaxation. Every year early September Sozopol is hosting the famous Apolonia Festival Of Arts. The natural decorations of the local scenery-architecture and nature,make the city the most appropriate place for the purpose-Apolonia ,The home of all arts.
Sunny beach is the largest resort in the Southern part on Bulgaria's Black Sea Coast .With its beautiful nature , naturally formed dunes ,crystal -clear water and finest sand beaches , the Resort was given the prestigious international ,,Blue Flag Award". The beach is more then 8 km. long ,and between 30 and 60 meters wide. Sunny Beach is never asleep-it is the place most favoured by young people for offering them enormous attraction-open-air or indoor swimming pool , restaurants ,bars ,discos , night -clubs.
Pomorie - founded as a Greek colony, named Anhialo late 5th century BC, in close proximity to a salt lake, believed by Thracians to be sacred,because of its curative waters. The town is a charming place where most of the downtown streets are covered with old-fashioned cobblestones ; people are promenading in the romantic atmosphere of its Seaside Boulevard and delightful old houses ."Old-style'' ,combined with "most-up-to-date" facilities for healing procedures using the specific properties of local mud-all this makes Pomorie a coveted place for health-improving recreation.
1. Flora international exhibition for flowers is held annually in the end of April - beginning of May, but most of the flower compositions stay for the public until late summer. It takes place in the pavilions in the sea Garden near the North Beach.
2. Bourgas Sand Fest is festival of sand sculptures held from the beginning of July until the middle of September. Artists from all over the world create stunning sand sculptures. This year the sand used for the sculptures weights 3300 tonnes, which is 800 more than the previous. Some of the sculptures have already been completed. The invited authors have already unleashed their creativity and started to turn piles of sand into various mythical and fairytale creatures and also characters of modern pop culture. Visitors of the festival will have the chance to see and take a picture with Romeo and Juliette, characters from "Star Wars", "Shreck", "Ice Age".
The second edition of the festival will be opened on July 2nd by the disco legends Boney M, who will have a concert in Burgas on the same date. Tickets' prices are: BGN 1 for children and BGN 3 for adults. Travel agencies have already stated their interest to include the exhibition in their services and it is expected that attendance will be high. For tourists' convenience on the festival's territory there will be a separate area for children, where they will make their own sand figures. There will be also souvenir stands and shops for drinks.
Sand sculptures festival will last till the middle of September.
3. Bourgas Yachting Week takes place at the end of April near the Port and The Bridge of the beach. Participants are usually 20 - 30 yachts from Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria.
4. Spirit of Bourgas takes place for 3 days in the City - Central beach every Mid - August. On a number of scenes visitors can enjoy all kinds of music ethno, rock, pop, Latina and electro. In 2009 Times (UK) rated the festival as one of the best in Europe. The first edition of Bourgas MTV Spirit of Burgas Festival was held from 15 to 17 August, 2008 and brought together thirty thousand melomani from Bulgaria, England, Poland, Romania and Turkey.
The first Spirit of Burgas will be remembered by the lunar eclipse and perfect sound. Thousands of fans wait to see live in Bulgaria legendary Darko WAVE / gothic rock band / The Sisters of Mercy, the world groups and performers like Kosheen, Cradle of Filth, Bonobo, Andy Cato from Groove Armada. Took part in the festival and many popular Bulgarian artists and groups such as Calin Veliov group "Tumbaito, Wickeda", Gravity Co. and others.
Spirit of Burgas is held each year in mid August. The festival gathers people loved the music in the territory of 58 thousand square meters, including stages, bars, VIP area, press area, dressing room for performers, dance areas and others.
Over the whole festival area has wireless Internet coverage. There is access for disabled people .
5. International folklore festival is one of the oldest international music events in the city until today more than 18 000 dancers from all over the world have been a part of it. It is held at the end of August in number of venues - Open air Theatre and scene in the city garden and central squares.
* Ethnographic Museum, 69 Slavianska Str., working time: mon-fri 10:00-19:00; sat 10:00-18:00, includes various ethno exhibitions in its program, offers summer school of Arts, Crafts and Dances
* Archaeological Museum, 21 Bogorodi Str., working time: mon-fri 10:00-19:00; sat 10:00-18:00, variety of exhibitions, ancient Roman, Byzantine and Greek antiques
* Historical Museum, 31 Lermontov Str., working time: mon-fri 10:00-19:00; sat 10:00-18:00, tells both local and national history, various guest exhibitions from other museums and countries.
* Nature and Science Museum, 30 Fotinov Str., working time: mon-fri 10:00-19:00; sat 10:00-18:00, covers flora, fauna, subjects of medicine, physics, various thematic exhibitions.
Shopping area is in the centre of the city. The prices are reasonable. Some of the shops offer local brands while others are international. The Bourgas Plaza mall is the newest mall and is located at the end of Izgrev living district, 2.5 km away, at 10 min. drive. International chains like Billa, Carrefour and Metro can also be found in the city.
A piano bar and a night club are a 5 min. walk from our property. There are many pizza places, pubs serving international food, Chinese restaurants in the city centre.
In summer there are open air restaurants just by the sea.
Poda 10 km away, is protected area part of huge wetland area vitally important as a resting station for many birds using the East European migration route. Poda can be reached by public transport. The concervation centre building is specially designed for its purpose; the centre has three large terraces as viewpoints for birds. Inside exhibition illustrate the great variety of Poda's nature.
Atanasovsko lake - It is located to the the North of Bourgas. Due to the specific salt flora in the region more than 70% of all birds that can be seen in Bulgaria can be seen in the Atanasovsko lake zone especially during the autumn migration. Part of the lake is Natural reserve and is under restricted access.
The city has a huge park called Sea Garden with variety of green species and fantastic view to the Burgas Bay. The garden starts from the central bus and train station. There are small stairs to the sandy beach and in summer the coast id full of many coffees and nightclubs.
Bourgas airport 8.6 km
Varna airport 86.7 km
Port Bourgas Terminal east 1.3 km
Ferry Terminal 1.3 km
Bourgas shopping mall 0.5 km
Bourgascentral beach 0.7 km
local municipality 0.3 km
central railway and bus station 0.5 km